Introducing Jared

Hi!

I'm a freshman and I have no idea what I want to do with my life. I like psychology and neuroscience, but honestly I could end up anywhere.

I've always had a passion for taking things apart. Well, it started with destroying things, mostly old desktop computers my dad was disposing of as a 7-year old. I moved on from that and fixed a couple of Nintendo DS systems, refloated a Macbook Pro GPU board in my oven, repaired countless phone screens, etc. I have a lot of diverse interests, especially when it comes to figuring out how things work. I hope to gain skills from this course to do more creative making!

My most recent project was a 1994 Honda Civic that I got for free and fixed for a total of about 700 bucks. 
How she sat when I got her. 352000 miles, wouldn't start, sat for 3yrs. Manual everything. The only thing it did automatically is turn on the wipers whenever you turned the wheel.
First time she ran. Cold air intake and no muffler. Previous owner hit a railroad track going too fast on the original suspension. Brakes were non-existent, dash lights didn't work, headlights turned on 50% of the time.

She didn't run for long. Low compression and hard starts made me pull the head. Learned how to do it all from Youtube. Head gasket, timing belt, water pump. Found a rebuild head off a 88 CRX and it mated up to my Japanese market (?) '95 block. Hondas are like legos. If it's the same general shape it'll probably work.

Now I understand how engines work a lot better.

And here's Chelsea at Trinity! 700 bucks later she's made it here and back to Austin 4 times without a single hiccup. Yeah she burns a bit of oil but hey I still get 27-30mpg!
0-60 time? "Yes"

Most recent project was making the engine look as good as it runs now. Painted it with a wrinkle black paint.

Lookin' good!

Aaaaand here's my next project. 95 Subaru Outback. I gave up on souping up the Civic. She's great, but if I turbo'ed that, it'd still just be a Civic. Have you ever heard someone say, "Hey man, nice Civic!"? I think not. Thinking I'll do a boxer 6 swap or a turbo swap into this baby.

Also here's a photo of myself. I needed a new shift linkage for the Subaru out of a junkyard car so of course I had to do this after finally getting the damn thing out of there! (Had to remove the transmission mount AND the drivetrain just to get to the shifter!



Comments