Completed Tote -- Sean's Lunch Box

Sean's Lunch Box

I finished making the wooden tote by hand. I decided that I wanted my design to not just carry tools but also food. So I made the center square space have foam walls to help insulate any food I needed to keep cold. I also added a lid with a small plastic knob. I made the knob out of small cylindrical plastic pieces that I machined down with the lathe to add grips to it.

For the actual box design used the hack saw to make all of the hand hold cuts and strap slots. I also used the hack saw to make the arches connecting the top of the lunch box to the side walls. I then used the router to smooth out all of the exposed edges and handholds making it easier to grab.

The most challenging part of making the design by hand was cutting all of the sides to the same dimensions. I did my best to match up the cuts on the chop saw but I still ended up just slightly off. The top of the box where the four hand holds are located are not completely flush like I wanted them to be. Leveling out the top after contracting the lunch box is one improvement I would have made.

I also didn't have a strap available to use with my design but it does have the slot cut out for one so that I can add it in later. Overall, I am very pleased with how it came out and I am excited to use this lunch box for picnics and car camping trips. I am also thinking about adding a varnish to it so that it can be protected from the elements when I use it for these outdoor activities.








Comments