Ericka Sosso Project #1 -- Candle Holder

Since I didn't really need another tote, I decided to make a candle holder. I sort of forgot how huge all of our candles are, so it ended up being a pretty large box (though honestly, now I think it could just double as a tissue holder or regular box).

Here's a quick sketch I did before making it in Fusion.



I came with a fairly intricate design planned out for the box, but was then warned that I should change it, since the wood probably wouldn't be able to hold up with such a design. With this in mind, I made a super simplified version of it. It looked like this:


I was pretty bummed about this, because I specifically chose a design where I thought there were going to be enough connections for it to work. When cutting out the boxes main parts, however, there were some cuts that didn't cut all the way through, so I used these to test print the original design, just to see how much of the detail the wood could actually handle.


It actually worked really well, so I decided to just print the original design.
For some reason, the later cuts were becoming a bit more inconsistent, and in some spots weren't cutting all the way through. Sometimes I could force them to break in the proper place, but since there are so many small connections, it would often break. This cost me several pieces, which is quite unfortunate when the cuts take 20 minutes.

Rip
Overall, I really liked the end result. I decided to do a raster on the edges of the lid to try to keep it from sliding. This worked a little, though I think I'm going to go back to make it even deeper.


I got together some of the broken or rough cuts and tested it at home to see what it will look like when a candle is inside.



I also played with the idea of having a lid on while having a candle inside (this is me just seeing what it may look like). I think I will probably cut another lid with a hole in the middle for the smoke to come out (this would also work well if I ever decide to use it as a tissue holder)

Cost Estimation

Prototype
Wood (12 x 24 x .2 plywood) : $1 x 2 = $2
My Time (design + staying by machine) : 5.3 hours = $53
Glowforge Time = 3.3 hours x $10 = $33
Zing Time = .3 hours x $30 = $9

Total Prototype Cost = $97

Cost to make 1 
Wood (12 x 24 x .2 plywood) : $1 x 1 = $1
My Time = 1.5 hours x $10 = $15
Glowforge = 1.5 hours x $10 = $15
Total Cost = $31


Link to design here


Comments

  1. Can you bring your rubric by so i can give you some credit for this reflection?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment