Project #1: 28mm scale medieval building

For my first design project, I want to make a medieval building appropriate for 28mm-scale historical miniatures.  Not only is a building a three-dimensional object, but the walls themselves will be 3D, since they will consist of two pieces glued together, a flat piece with windows in back, timber framing and window shutters in front.  This will give a nice sense of depth and make for easier painting later on.

The picture at top left is taken from this Etsy link.  To make my first attempt a little easier, I'll just be making a single-story building, with the roof at a single angle on each side, and a centered chimney (see drawing below left).  I like the idea of the rastered shingles, but if I start running short on time I will simplify it with rectangular shingles.

This project presents the following challenges:
  • Two separate extrudes for each wall (one for the base, one for the exterior timbering).
  • Asymmetric long sides (only one side will have a door).
  • Roof at a 45-degree angle to the walls, and chimney sides at an angle to the roof.

Comments