Project 1, Desk Pen and Business Card Holder

Project 1: Desk Pan and Business Card Holder



















My idea for project 1 was to design and build a pen and business card holder for my desk using the Zing laser cutter. After I graduate from college I wanted something for my desk that could hold all of my pens and pencils along with my future business cards. Since I didn't have any business cards on me I just used cards that I did have in my wallet for a proof of concept. I based my design off of the trinity tower that was constructed in the shop several week ago. It incorporated a stacking design where the bottom 8 pieces have the business card compartment while the upper 13 are just for the pen and pencil compartment.

I started brainstorming my design in my design notebook. My first iteration I wanted to use wooden rods to hold all of the sections together. I then changed my design to use 4 wooden rectangle slates, one for each side. I also did not want it to be just rectangular so I made the pencil compartment a hexagon with 30 degree inclines. I set the height of the pencil holder to be 4 inches tall and the business compartment 2.25" x 2". I used these dimensions because I thought they would work nicely for the items it would hold.




















A majority of my time was spend in Fusion trying to create the hexagonal plates. The link for my Fusion design is here. Once my design was completed in CAD I converted it to an Adobe Illustrator file so that the Zing could cut it out. It is in this file that I added the old Trinity Tiger logo (because I really like it) and my name.

Like in the previous homework's I first attempted to cut out my design in cardboard. After verifying that all of the components fir together nicely I began to test the Zing settings on scrap pieces of wood.
It really only took me 1-2 attempts to get the vector and raster settings I wanted speed/power/frequency (vector = 70/100/500 ) (raster = 50/100/500). Since I used small cuts and rasters I could perform all of my prototyping on piece of scrap wood.




















I then started to cut out the pieces for my design. The images shown here are after I had assembled all the pieces and glued the top and bottoms together. The base width is 5.5" as shown in the upper right image. Even though I spent time getting the Zing settings I still encountered a problem while laser cutting the design out. I found that after the Zing lens was cleaned it made better cuts for my first set of pieces using one 11.75'' x 23.75" x 0.19" board. Immediately after that I tried to cut out the second set of pieces I needed using a new board. However, once it finished it did not seem to cut through the center section of the board. I think this could be due to it being bowed up at that section, influencing the performance of the cut. I tried rerunning the cuts using the same board and it did not help. To solve this problem I ended up moving the pieces I needed cut to different locations on the same pieces of wood where it was level. Performing this change worked, making me believe that the fluctuations in the board were the cause of the problem and not my settings.

I also computed the approximate time and cost values for this project for just my prototype and for mass production as shown below:
Time and Cost Analysis
Prototype:
Design: 3 hours x $10/hr  = $30
Wood (11.75'' x 23.75" x 0.19") : 2.5 pieces x ($1/(12"x 24")) = $2.5
Glue: negligible amount used
Zing Printing (including reprinting time due to errors) = 1.25 hours x $30/hr = $37.5
Assembly: 0.5 hours x $10/hr = $5

Total Cost: $75

Mass Production:
Zing Printing (per unit) = 0.75 hours x $30/hr = $22.5
Assembly (per unit) = 0.25 hours x $10/hr = $2.5
Wood (11.75'' x 23.75" x 0.19") : 2 pieces x ($1/(12"x 24")) = $2
Glue (Lowe's TightBond wood glue): $4.98/16oz x ~1oz =  $0.31

Total Cost: $27.31

Overall, I am pleased with how my design came out and cannot wait to put it on my desk and show off my cool design.

-Sean Farrell





Comments