Project 1: Hedgehog (Reprise)

For Project 1 I decided to reprise my creation from Homework 2: a wooden hedgehog which could be assembled into a 3D freestanding design.  I edited the design by making it larger and added more sections. I created three cuts of the "body" and seven for the "spines".  This allowed the final model to stand much easier, but required a lot of precision.  I created the entire design in Fusion- which might have been a mistake, or perhaps there was a better way of doing it- as the design process entailed placing layer over layer of the same shapes in different sizes, which became confusing quickly. I tried to emphasize the curvature of the animal in the two side body pieces, but I could not figure out how to do this in a cohesive manner and in the end lost the ability to raster on aesthetic fixtures I would have liked such as eyes. I am willing to admit that I could have rastered the bottom of the eyes on the exterior pieces and finished them on the central section, but I feared this looking freakish.  I cut the slot connecting the pieces to be 0.19" thick and they fit together with no need for glue.  If I had the chance to redo this design I would add more aesthetic qualities such as eyes, a nose, and possibly markings to emphasize texture in the quills. I hopefully would also learn how to design the project so that when I raster my name in, it doesn't get covered up by other pieces.

Comments