Bogue - Frisbee Final Project

For my final project, I decided to make another frisbee using the CNC method. This time, I was planning on laser engraving the Trinity Ultimate team logo on the disc, so I needed to modify the model so that it would be flat on top for the laser to work. I also decided to go with a counter-mold method for CNCing the bottom of the disc, since the wood would be more sturdy than the foam I made the previous disc from and I would be able to detach it easily from the mold. With my model ready to go, I could start the CNC process.


Once I had the top part of the disc shaped, I could cut the mold and move on to the bottom half.



Unfortunately, some parts of the plywood were weaker and began to flake and lose integrity, and part of the rim of the disc flew off during the CNC process.



The final step was to laser engrave the top of the disc. To do this, I used illustrator to turn our team logo to greyscale, then sized it appropriately in illustrator. My first few test cuts on cardboard ignored the greyscale and simply engraved the outline of the logo, but the final engraving came out with the grey parts engraved.



Overall, I am somewhat satisfied, but if I had had more time I would have redone the CNC piece.

Comments

  1. Images did not come through :(
    Yes, the layers on the plywood are not very strong, so you'd need to go thicker even than foam.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment