Final Project: Portable Travel Kit | Sean Farrell

For my final project I wanted to make something that could hold some typical travel objects. I decided for this design that I would have my travel kit hold a standard sized toothbrush and razor. I chose the toothbrush because the bristles are usually not covered and the razor because they contain sharp razor blades. In the future I would make accessories or different models that would hold different travel objects like toothpaste, tweezers, and comb.

Below are images of some of the first hand drawing ideas I had for the travel kit. At first I thought about making the kit roll up with each section holding 1 item and then connected to other sections with a hinge. With this hinge design I would then have a strap holding each of the objects inside. 

However, after further brainstorming and talking with Jamie and Ryan Hodge I came up a different design. This new design functions kind of like a book, with the hinge being leather and the two faces holding the razor and toothbrush inside of them. Before I could create my CAD design in Fusion 360 I needed to get all of the measurements for the razor and toothbrush, which are shown in the design notebook pages below.
After finding all of the materials I wanted to use I created my CAD model, linked here. Before I actually made the design using the wooden base I performed all the routing cuts in foam. The first attempt was done on the smaller X-Carve where I just routed out the sections for the toothbrush and razor. I found that the pockets were the right length but parts of the neck for both of the objects were too tight. I also had originally wanted to use leather straps to hold the objects in tighter to the base but realized the pockets for those were too small and not user friendly. I also noticed that the smaller X-Carve that we have in our shop does not route out circles well at all. In order to route out circles I had to use the larger X-Carve. As you can see in the second attempt I started redesigning the pocket design to improve how easy it is to remove the objects.
Attempt 2 in foam using the larger X-Carve
Attempt 1 in foam using the smaller x-Carve











Once I had preformed some test cuts in foam I then moved to routing out mu design in 17.2mm thick plywood. The results from the routing are shown in the figure below. The side on the right without the objects in it was routed out with the larger X-Carve using an 1/8" flat bit. The left side piece was routed out using the ShopBot and a 1/4" flat bit. I did this because of time and availability. The wood piece cut on the X-Carve took ~4 hours to cut while the ShopBot piece took ~30-45 minutes tops. 

I also added three hidden magnets (glued in place) to each face to create a latching mechanism. The magnets were strong enough that I could cover them with a thin (0.1" thickness) piece of wood that I laser cut out on the Zing. Another aspect of the redesign was a continuous 1" wide pocket with side areas for the users thumbs to go. This allows easier removal of the objects.
 
Not shown in this image but the backside of each face was routed out 2mm down and 1" wide. I did this with a hand router and jig. The routed out section allowed for the leather binding to lay flush with the wood face. The end result of the travel kit is shown in the following images.
   
For the leather hinge I riveted it 8 times (2 on each face) at locations 0.25" and 3.5" from the sides. I also glued the leather to the wood using a silicone glue. The leather hinge was cut on the Zing laser cutter using a vector setting of 80,100, 500 (speed, power, frequency).  I thought the front raster was appropriate for a travel kit because it emphasizes its use for any adventures. 
Overall, I am very pleased with how the travel kit turned out. Since I like the way it looks so much I hope to continue improving the design and adding new compartments for other travel items. But for now I am excited to use this on my next camping trip! 

Project 3 Costs and Time Analysis
Design Time: 6-8 hr(x $10/hr) = $70-$80
Material: 
    Foam: (Home Depot 1"x4'x8' = 4608 in^2 at $19.98) used 1"x16"x32" (512in^2) = $2.22
    Plywood: (Home Depot 19/32"x4'x8' = 2736 in^2 at $30.87) used 2(5"x8.5") or 50.47in^2) = $0.57
    Wood for magnet covers was found in scrap pile
    Silicon Glue: Negligible amount used
    Magnets (MagCraft Neodymium): 50 count 0.25" diameter and 0.1" thick at $11.99 used 6 = $1.44
Manufacturing Time:
    X-Carve: 9 hr (including prototyping 5 hr) at $20/hr = $180
    Zing Laser Cutter: 0.5 hr at $30/hr = $15
    ShopBot: 0.5-0.75 hr at $30/hr = $15-$22.5
Total Cost:
    Max: $301.73
    Min: $269.23
    
-Sean Farrell

Comments