Project 3: Cap Rack - Luc Scranton

Ideas: Initially I was thinking about making something that might be used in my senior design project, but the more I thought about it the more I thought the logistics of showing it at the maker faire and using it for the design project would be tough. Then, while I was cleaning out my closet at home to get ready for moving out, I saw all my hates just sitting in a pile on my shelf and figured out what I want to make. I'm thinking I'm going to make a hat rack for wherever I move next. The base of the rack will likely be plywood, and laser cut to the shape of a hat. I also would like to engrave it and use the new coloring feature with the laser cutter on that engrave. I'm going to then 3D print the hooks for the hats to hand on. I haven't decided how I want to attach the hooks to the base board yet. I would prefer to use glue, and I think it should hold up fine, but I will probably need to test to make sure. If not, I will just use screws...


Fusion 360 Files: Here is the link to base of the cap rack
Here is the link to the hooks for the cap rack

Below you can see an image of the design for the base and the hook.


Design Process:

Cap Rack Base: So I went ahead with the idea of making a hat rack with the base being shaped like a ball cap. I got an image of the side profile of a ball cap to use as reference to trace out the cap. I made the hat about is big as I possibly could to make it fit on one sheet of plywood in the Zing. This was fairly simple to make and cut. I added some lettering to the hat and used the powder engrave function with the Zing. I did four passes for the color engrave and it came out really nice. The letters really pop and are clean. Below are some images of the base and close up on the lettering.






Cap Hooks: For the hooks that hold the hats I looked up some images of other coat hooks to model after. The one I made has two hooks on it, the bottom one for hats, and the top one could even be used for jackets. I also put two screw holes in the hooks because I decided it would be much more secure with those than glue. I drilled the holes manually into the plywood after measuring out where the hats would fit best. I used 7 hooks on the final design, however I had to print 9 because one didn't come out well for some reason and one I accidentally broke during assembly. 

Mounting system; The system for mounting the hat rack is quite simple as well. I just got some wire from the shop and drilled some tiny holes in the wood to feed it through and tie knots on the front side. It's the same concept as most pictures. Below is a picture of the back side where you can see the wire. You'll lso see some black duct tape which keeps the wire more tot. It doesn't look great but it's the side that will be against the wall so it doesn't really matter.


Costs: 

$1/sheet of plywood * 1 sheet = $1.00
$30/hr of Zing use * 45 min = $22.50
$10/hr cutting time * 45 min = $7.50
$10/hr designing time * 1 hr = $10.00
$10/hr assembly time * 0.3 hr = $3.00
$0.02/g PLA *18g = $0.36
$2.50/hr Prusa use * 4.5hr = $11.25

*Note: I did most of my assemble while other hooks were printing, so I'm throwing most of that time into the Prusa use time, which is why assembly time is so low.

Total Cost (1 prototype): $55.61

Final Product: Below is a picture of the finished product!





Comments