HW #2: Cube Trivets - Luc Scranton

For homework 2, I initially wanted to make a comb engraved with my initials on it, but this project took all of 10 minutes to make, so I decided I wanted to do something else that would be more of a challenge. Below is a picture of the comb...


I came across a cool cube pattern for some trivets at https://community.glowforge.com/c/free-laser-designs which I adapted to make two trivets. In the first photo, you see the frame cut out with all the diamond shaped pieces that fit inside it.


I initially wanted to cut this design with three different pieces of wood to fit back into one frame in a unique patter. However, after cutting out the pattern in the first two pieces, maplewood and hardboard, I found that using a two color pattern with the light and dark contrast really brought out the three dimensional feel. I also thought it would be cool to go with the two colors so that I could make two pieces that were opposites. Since the maplewood is a preset material on the Glowforge, it is cut with a thin layer on the top that can be taken off to make sure there are no burn marks on the final cut. The photos below were taken before I took off the paper layer and glued the pieces in to show how it would have looked with the burn marks.




Finally, Below is the finished product, which came out pretty clean after gluing in all the pieces and taking off the burned layers.





        

Comments

Post a Comment