Project 2: Disk Golf by Granizo


Fusion file (with most recent tool paths): https://a360.co/2Ul2tu2


Since we need to use a flipping method with the CNC, I thought that a disk golf disk would be perfect. The shape of the disk has rounded faces on both sides of the disk, requiring the flipping technique. I first went ahead and designed the disk, then I went ahead and simulated all the tool paths required to make the part. My first go at the project was to try and make a cross shape with dowel holes in each segment of the cross to retain the origin for when I flip it over. So I started with that idea. The first cut was the bottom of the disk with the huge hollow out and the nice curves from inside of the disk out, shown in the figure to the right.


After that, I ran into Ryan and he realized that the cross shape probably wouldn’t add any sort of value to the setup, to which I realized, he was totally right. So now, I had a big piece of material that would not have a parameter cut done to it…so it’s just taking up space now. I continued forward with the dowel holes. I first made the holes into the material, and then touched off the z-axis on the spoil board to get the same exact holes, in the same exact place as cut into the pink foam. The picture below shows the hole drilling.

Something strange happened during the hole cut though. I had initially programmed the holes to be a quarter inch in diameter, but they came out to be less. So I went into the program, made them bigger (about 0.30 inches) and ran the hole cutting program on the material and the spoil board again. Of course I re-ran the program prior to making the spoil board holes since I couldn’t move the pink foam or else everything would be screwed up. The holes looked more appropriately sized, and then I saw that the dowels were actually around 0.33 inches in diameter, so they wouldn’t fit…so I ran the program once more. Something even weirder happened during this run, the program didn’t put the holes in the same spot even though I didn’t change anything! Everything was kept the same but yet, the holes were misaligned. I never figured out why that happened, but it never happened again (so yay?).  

After all that nonsense, I finally flipped my foam over and plopped the dowels in to retain the correct origin. Once I started the top cut, I saw that it wasn’t exactly in the middle like the bottom cut (look at the picture to the left). I was too deep so I wanted to see what would happen. Well, after the top cut finished, I saw exactly was happened. The figure below to the right is the final cut of round one… it was a nice and easy failure. So I went back to the program to see what was going on, and I saw that my stocks within the different setups were not equal. That probably wasn’t the main culprit but it certainly didn’t help. Then I realized that the origins within the different setups were not along the same edge…that was no good.
So I went ahead and fixed all of that and made the stock and origins consistent. I also made the material much smaller and the dowel holes toward the corners so it would be easier to locate. Upon these fixes, I ran it again! The picture below shows the bottom/hole/top cuts made. The dowels served their purpose, everything was aligned, and all was right in the universe. The last picture shows the final pink foam product, pretty cool. I sanded down the edges to make it look more slick.


-Bvyan Granizo!

Comments