Koob's Tote









My Tote is a jewelry box. 
The left side is meant for smaller jewelry such as earrings. The middle is meant for necklaces, and the right has more room for bracelets. I myself am not a jewelry heavy man, so the box is meant for my girlfriend, to help hold all the jewelry I have and will buy for her. I figure, if I'm going to spend all that money on it, might as well make something nice for her to keep it in. 
This project had only a few minor setbacks. The first of which was we do not currently have a table saw, which made notching for the pull out shelves a slight challenge. I was able to make do by free-handing it on the chop saw. At the time, I didn't realize you could set the depth on the chop saw, so it turned out pretty uneven, yet still highly functional.
My next setback was with the door panels. The design was drawn on my Surface computer, and laser printed. This process wasn't too difficult, and turned out quite nice. However, the first set of doors was too warped to sit flush, so I had to re-cut and print them on a new piece of wood.
One of the aspects that I like about the box are the hinges. I found these ate the bottom of one of the drawers in the shop, and they were covered in rust. However, after a light sanding, and some time with the wire brush, they turned out looking really nice. The brass screws I used compliment them nicely as well.
All of the drawers as well as the hanger can come out, making the box sort of modular.



Comments